Monday, September 30, 2019

Sarah Mangold : issue six : Introduction :


Welcome to GUEST 6! From 2000 to 2009 I edited the print journal Bird Dog. My focus was longer poems and giving space to women, often before their first books. It was a labor of love with hand tipped-in art. When rob mclennan asked if I would like to edit an issue of GUEST, I immediately thought of past Bird Dog contributors, but I also wanted to include new poets and check-in on those poets I’ve only heard read once years ago. I knew I wanted to ask for work from poets who I’m always on the look-out to read. So, this became my mission. What are you up to? Within these pages you will find Bird Dog poets along with newer acquaintances. There are cats and dogs (of course!), ghosts, bodies, outer space, translation, micro reviews, and the dailiness of our Anthropocene. I hope you will begin to follow these writers, as I do, and hey, What are you up to? I can’t wait to read it!




Sarah Mangold was born in Nebraska and raised there and in Kansas, and Oklahoma. She is the author of the poetry collections Household Mechanics (New Issues), Electrical Theories of Femininity (Black Radish Books) and Giraffes of Devotion (Kore), as well as many chapbooks, most recently, Birds I Recall (above/ground). She is the founder and editor of the print literary journal Bird Dog: a journal of innovative writing and art (2000-2009), and a recipient of a 2013 NEA Poetry Fellowship. She lives near Seattle where she works for the University of Washington as a Program Manager for online academic programs and teaches online.

No comments:

Post a Comment

issue twenty-six : guest-edited by Adam Katz

NOW AVAILABLE: G U E S T #26 edited by Adam Katz published as part of above/ground press’ thirtieth anniversary see here for Adam Katz’ intr...